- CVS Access
- Bug Report
I've decided to start a new chess engine with completely different board and move generation structures.
Alpha 22 release won't be for a while
Work on Witz is stagnating becase of a lot of work load from college and other buisness. Nevertheless I will certainly work on it as time allows. Expect a release no later than 4 months.
Tournament Book 1.1 Released
A much better opening book made from many top quality games. Much thanks to IM Gaston to provide the pgn file.
Huge bug in Alpha21
I found a terrible mistake in the eval tuning. Witz goes for bad pawn structures because I have the piece square tables for bad pawns as positive scores instead of negative scores! I fixed this and re-upload a new A21 with a better config file.
A hurried release before spring break.
Slacking on Witz
I have hardly had time to work on Witz, but I will try to be more active now. Except a release in 1-2 weeks.
Added a tournament book to the downloads page.
You can find Alpha 20 now on the downloads page!
Redirected effort for improvements in strength to improvements in features for Alpha20.
A lot of new features and a big increase in playing strength.
Witz Alpha 19 should come out by Monday with a substantial improvement in playing strength.
Witz is a free and open-source chess playing program and is currently not being developed.
Nevertheless I've started writing a new chess engine and for those who are interested they can find it
ICS Handles running Witz
Contact me and I'd be glad to add anyone who runs Witz on an ICS to this list.
- WitzSF (FICS)
- Singularity (FICS)
Planned Features for next release
- Well documented source code
- Winboard/Xboard protocols 1 and 2 (analyze and ponder not supported yet)
- Ad-hoc support for timed controls
- Rotated Bitboard move generation
- Multiple Search Algorithms
- Principal Variation Search (PVS)
- Quiescence Search
- Interior Node Recognition
- 3-move repetition detection
- fifty move repetition detection
- Forward Pruning
- Adaptive Nullmove Pruning
- Check Extension
- Recapture Extension
- Pawn to 7th Extension
- Move Ordering
- History Heuristric
- Ray-casting Static Exchange Evaluation
- Killer Move
- Dynamically Pregenerated Piece-Square Tables
- Transposition Tables
- Evaluation Function
- Full Mobility Evaluation
- Capture bonus for mobility
- Dynamic King Safety (Scaled with Material)
- Pawn Structure
- Pawn Hash
- Passed Pawns
- Half-Passed Pawns
- Doubled Pawns
- Isolated Pawns
- Generic Weak Pawns
- Principal Variation Output
- Opening Book
- Generation of opening book from PGN files
- Supports transpositions
- Uses a fast red-black tree structure for generation
- Configuration File
- Potential for Parallelization
Better evaluation still needed, also major improvements in speed can be done. Recommendations for the evaluation function will be greatly appreciated.
Information on Witz's playing performance compared to other engines may be found on the following websites:
Links to more rating information from other tournaments can be found at the Winboard Forum.
- Endgame Evaluation
- Tuning current evaluation
- Limited Mate-threat extension
- Improve Move Ordering (mabe try Internal Iterative Deepening)
- Raycasting Mobility and King Safety Evaluvation
- Taking into account pressure distribution in King Safety
- Tempo evaluvation
- Any additional generic evaluvation terms I can come up with
- Threaded input and search (pthreads/pthreads-win32)
- Pondering and Analyze Support
- Primitive Tree-Splitting Parallel Search
- Endgame Recognizers
Copyright © 2005 Witz Group